Wednesday, April 2, 2008

ribbon candy

I don't know how to start...Do I know the elusive Penny Fathrington? Can a man know a voice on the wind? Can you inhale the signiture smell of horse and ribbon candy that trailed the great man? Much like the stank that follows a dead moose. We all know the signs of him, but no, I don't know the famous benifactor. My tale starts with a downturn. An early frost had killed a part of my crop and I didn't have the heart to tell my wife. Gout had been particularly bad for her this year. So I went to the farmers market to buy more seed and see Hogzilla. To my despair Hogzilla had broken free, ate a farmer and then not satisfied he ate all the seed. Hogzilla, that beautiful beast, had run free to the wild...and the seed was all gone. Pulling my overalls over my head I began to cry. That's when I felt a sticky hand on my head. Pulling my hair as he removed it. I heard a voice of ye ole British angel...one Penny. Pulling my head out of my overalls, getting stuck only one on the shoulder loop, I looked up. The sun was shining brightly so I couldn't get a good look at his head. What I did see was a hand, a hand w/ ribbon candy in it. So willingly given. As I took the ribbon candy I noticed 2 things. 1. His hand was stained w/ the color of the hard candy. 2 the ribbon candy had paper and hair stuck to it. I believe as the legend goes that he keeps a handful in both pockets for just these occassions. Pushing my tears aside I stood to thank that mysterious benifactor. Only he was gone...After that the sun was brighter, the moist furry candy was sweeter, and I heard that Hogzilla would be back tommorrow. Bless that Penny, bless that Penny!!!!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

So is Penny really Big Foot? I am just putting two and two together...the hairy candy and the disappearing...just wondering.

Kallie said...

glad you're back tebor.

Brady said...

Oh Penny! That sauntering swashbuckler. If there was ever a being that could brighten ones day with a paltry sum of ribbon candy it was Old Penny. The amusing and fascinating thing is that the candy supply never ran dry.

Kristopher Gillespie said...

Such an tale of inspiration my eyes have narry witnessed! (in the form of a blog) Penny's saintly generosity is deserving of a golden memorial and though I cannot provide that myself I will instead create an artwork in his honor. I will inform you when it is complete.

Caleb Samuel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.